Monday, June 7, 2010

Summer Reading




On Tuesday June 1, Belinda Carlisle’s book “Lips Unsealed” was released.

I first heard about this project over a year ago. There had been some talk on the internet that Belinda had signed a deal to release an autobiography. Much discussion ensued. Would it be a tell-all about her days as a member of The Go-Go’s? Would she reveal secrets about her band mates or would this be just about her. Well, the latter is more accurate. In the book, Belinda discusses growing up while dealing with feelings of insecurity, coping with losing her father, and finding her place in the world. It’s a journey that walks the reader through the forming of The Go-Go’s, their rise and fall and reforming, and all of Belinda’s personal demons that manifested themselves on and off for nearly 30 years. Ultimately it’s a story of redemption and healing.

Having heard so many of the stories over the years, it was really cool to read them as told by someone who was there. There are glimpses into the recording sessions of her solo albums. And, as she has been most candid about in press interviews, stories of drug and alcohol use, including during her pregnancy.

Belinda opens up about motherhood, and dealing with the regret of not being home with her son as much as she would have liked.

She even mentions "Dancing With the Stars." :)

I read the book in 3 days. I paced myself, as it would have been easy to not put the book down. The book is truly her voice and her sense of humor. Yes, there are parts of the book that made me laugh. Overall it’s a pretty fair balance of ups and downs but by the time I got to the end I was feeling happy for her.

As a fan, I would recommend this book to everybody. It may not be to everybody’s liking so I would qualify my review by suggesting it to anybody who is interested in a story of someone’s journey to find who they are and creating an eye opening journey along the way.

That’s the first of my summer reads. What’s on your reading list this summer?

No comments: