Sunday, February 13, 2011

It's That Time of Year

My least favorite Hallmark Holiday is here. Tomorrow is Valentine's day. And I did just check my blog, the three previous years I posted a similar sentiment. I HATE Valentine's Day.

I have for a long time. Only 1 year in as long as I can remember was I with someone on Valentine's Day. 2002, I was dating a nice guy name John. He bought me a box of chocolates and we went to dinner. I forgot what I gave him. Well, I remember part of what I gave him but I'll let you figure that one out.

Perhaps the bitter is dialed up a notch this year. Chances are I'd be less vocal about the day if I were in a relationship. However, I am not so let the bitter begin!

Tomorrow's attire for work will consist of black slacks, a black and white striped shirt and a black tie with a small skull and crossbones pattern on it. I think it conveys my feelings in a subtle and elegant way.

I've even put together a playlist that I will listen to. Rather than let my iTunes library do it's thing and play songs that speak of love and romance (there's a lot of that in my music collection, believe it or not), tomorrow's playlist is all songs that speak of heartbreak, being alone or celebrating ones' independence.

Here are some of the songs on my list. I won't list all 4 dozen that I have selected.

"Jilted Lovers and Broken Hearts" - Brandon Flowers
"Here's Where the Story Ends" - The Sundays
"Why Does it Always Rain on Me?" - Travis
"These Boots Are Made For Walking" - Nancy Sinatra
"Fuck the Pain Away" - Peaches
"Rolling in the Deep" - Adele (her new single...have you heard it? Amazing!!)
"Valentine" - Belinda Carlisle (Valentine/I know you're not mine/You're somebody else's flame/But when those hearts and flowers fade/Oh my darling, look my way.)
"Someone Else Not Me" - Duran Duran
"Forget You" - Glee Cast w/ Gwenyth Paltrow (I love this cleaned up version of the song)
"Unforgiven" - The G0-Go's
"Remember (Walking in the Sand)" - The Shangri Las
"Fading Fast" - The Go-Go's
"Blue Period" - The Smithereens

You get the jist of it.

I want to add a disclaimer here. I'm not sad, not angry at anybody and not depressed. I actually have fun hating Valentine's Day. As long as I'm single on this day and am forced to face endless TV and radio commercials and print ads about things to do or gifts to buy on Valentine's Day, I'm going to be bitter about the day. Maybe next year I won't feel so hateful about the day.

Cupid, bite my ass!

No comments: