Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What's For Dinner?

File Under: Sometimes I Like to Cook!

I don't watch a lot of TV but I do have my shows that I like. One network that I watch a lot is The Food Network. I love tuning in to see how much butter or mayonnaise Paula is adding to her recipes, I get a kick out of seeing Ina dote over her husband and party with her gaggle of gay friends, I laugh whenever Semi-Homemade "Aunt" Sandy says "It's Cocktail time." Girl loves her booze! I relate most to the things that Giada De Laurentiis prepares. Her recipes are easy to follow and they produce excellent results. Here's a recipe for the most recent dish I prepared.


Prosciutto Ravioli
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
2 large egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
48 wonton wrappers
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano Freshly grated pecorino

Whisk the ricotta, spinach, prosciutto, egg yolks, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.
Place 1 tablespoon of the ricotta filling in the center of a wonton wrapper. Brush the edge of the wrapper lightly with water. Fold the wrapper in half, enclosing the filling completely and forming a triangle. Pinch the edges to seal. Transfer the ravioli to baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers. (Can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate.)

Melt the butter in a heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add the oregano and stir 1 minute. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. Working in batches, cook the ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer the ravioli to a large shallow bowl.

Pour the oregano butter over the ravioli and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle the pecorino over the ravioli and serve.

Try it, you'll really enjoy it!

Do you like to cook? Do you have a recipe you recently tried and were pleased with the results? Post a comment and tell me about it.

No comments: