Thursday, April 10, 2008

Good Cat/Bad Cat

File Under: Bewildered

Millie is my cat that I've had for just under 6 years. She was a shelter cat who must have been the runt of her litter because she's on the small side. She's been a constant source of entertainment and companionship. She's got a lot of personality and my mom enjoys having her around.

About 6 weeks ago, she started acting strange. Out of nowhere, she attacked me - she wrapped her self around my leg and stuck her claws in. As of today I still have the scars to prove it. One scratch bled pretty heavily.

She did it two more times, since. Finally I decided to have her checked out at the vet. Without any outward signs of pain, they did bloodwork, which came back fine. The only thing that possibly was a problem were here teeth. I had those taken care of a couple weeks ago. My last blog mentioned the surgery and what she went through afterwards. She was fine until tonight.

After dinner, she followed me down the hallway. I stopped and she was right at my legs, arched back with really wide eyes. She was in attack mode. I took a couple steps and she watched intently and then got close again. I sat down on my bed and tried talking low to her and she still had the big eyes. I put her in my lap and she stirred and nipped, once at my jeans, once at my shirt and then she stared right into my face. Deciding I didn't want her to jump up at my face I pushed her off my lap and startled her out of my bedroom.

Cat bites are serious. Cat mouths are dirty. Vahona suffered a cat bite and we sat in the emergency room for two hours while they pumped her full of antibiotics. Her hand became very swollen. I don't want that. Worse, I don't want Millie biting my mom. So far she's exhibited no agression towards her but who's to say it won't happen. I don't want to take that chance, for either of us.

I'm going to sleep on it, then I'm going to make a couple calls tomorrow. I'm going to call a no-kill shelter in the area to see if they have anybody there who is familiar with this sort of behavior in animals, but mostly I'm calling to see if they would take her, should I decide to give her up.

I don't know what else to do. I'm heartbroken, as is my mom, but something's got to change.

No comments: