Friday, May 23, 2008

"Routine" Robbery

File Under: Cars are expensive

Yesterday I noticed that my brakes were making a grinding noise. Not a good thing. I drive a 2004 Honda Civic. It's got 27,000 miles on it. It's not a very sexy car but it gets me from point A to point B. It has served me well...I've only had to bring it in for routine service visits. Oil changes, etc.

Today I took it in. I was informed that it was time for the 30,000 "routine" maintenance, at a rate of $491 dollars. And that was BEFORE the brake diagnosis.

The call arrived at about 9:30, the service advisor informed me that I did in fact need front brakes and they would cost me $270 bucks.

Thanks to some coupons, I got the bill down to $720.

Oh well...hopefully my car will be healthy for the next year. The next "routine" maintenance is far less expensive.

No comments: