Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Andersonville Midsommarfest 2009

File Under: City Fun


This past weekend was Andersonville's Midsommarfest. What started off as a cold, dreary day turned into a lovely day. By 2 pm on Saturday, I was out for day 1 of the festivities. For the first part of my adventure, I was joined by my friend Jim. We walked around and took in the sights. Here are a few early images from the festival. Please click on the cute little thumbnails for much larger images.


One of many food stands. Lots of tasty treats.




A rather sporty lad, obviously thirsty.



More food. Feel the clogging of the arteries.



Oooh, amusements. Looks like a space ship. What's with the tail end?



Oh my, that doesn't look right. Not at all...



Uh oh...



It's a BOY!



Time for lunch. Stopped for an empanada at Ole Ole. Here's me looking both big and gay!



My favorite bakers, the owners of Pasticceria Natalina.


Jim and I stopped to chat with my friend Lynn, whom I've known since grammar school. After a few minutes, Jim departed and as if the next shift was checking in, I ran into Dan, Luis, Denise and Polo. Tina could not join us this weekend, she was in Ohio. Thirsty and ready to explore, we got drinks. Then we walked.

Dan met THE Hamburger Mary! They became instant friends!!


The handsome Dan and Luis.

Shortly after, we met up with my coworker Andrea who was just taking in the sights and sounds on her own. She joined us, but Luis insisted she have bigger hair, so he practiced his teasing technique as Polo looks on.


He didn't have much success so we ate instead. Mmm...funnel cakes.


Taking in a concert. Luis and Polo are discussing something important. I'm sure of it.


Dancing? I'm not sure.
Day turned into night and we gathered at the other end of the fest to see the evening's main attraction, Sixteen Candles. They're a great band who perform the best songs from the 80's. They're fun to watch. I don't really remember seeing them, I think at this point I had consumed at least 6 drinks and everything was just starting to run together. Yet, I took a few pictures.
Luis, Dan and Denise, in the crowd.

My coworker Sonny joined us. She had some catching up to do. We quickly set her up with a couple mojitos. After downing those, she found the beer tent near the north stage.

Cheers, Sonny!


Andrea. I've decided this may be her new ID picture at work.


Polo, looking serious. Perhaps looking for a light, or for another beer.


"Seriously? Where's my beer?" or "What do you mean you're still sober?"
The crowd. Yes, Sixteen Candles is a very popular band.

Dan, with some random guys. Another beer, Dan?

This is where my camera's memory card was full and I was unable to continue snapping pictures. Here's what you missed. The concert ended, Andrea, Dan, Denise, Luis and Polo went home. Sonny and I decided we needed to find a bathroom, a drink and some food. We did all of the above. We ended up enjoying some Mediterranian grilled chicken from Reza's. The festival was beginning to wind down for the night but we weren't (even though we should have), so we went in search of an establishment at which to continue drinking.
Our first stop was Cattle Call, a new bar in the neighborhood. It was crowded so we didn't stay long. We each had a beer, then decided it was time to move on. We hopped in a cab and went to Jackhammer, my usual hangout. At that point, it became clear to both of us that we were running out of steam. We each had a drink, said goodnight to our bartender, and hailed cabs to go home.
For obvious reasons, Sunday was a much slower start. I made a feeble attempt at going to the gym. Finally at about 2, I felt human enough to head back out for day 2 of the festival. It was a warmer day than Saturday, sunny and close to 80 degrees.

Shortly after I arrived, I met up with my friend Steve, his partner Bill and a number of their friends. We hung out and watched local band Cat Fight. I stuck to drinking water as I didn't think I could stomach alcohol. I did manage to eat a corndog (food on a stick - YUM!), and later I enjoyed some thai food. Below are a couple more pictures from Sunday's festival.
Steve and I, standing in the crowd.

Cat Fight, entertaining a large crowd of people.


A view in the opposite direction, booths of food, and assorted street fest goods (jewelry, clothing, odd things for your home)


Alas, all good things must come to and end, and so does this post. It was a great weekend, lots of fun with great friends. Festival season is off to a great start!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lots of great pics, and sounds like lots of fun!

Dan said...

Girl - that last pis is not pretty!
What a fun day!