Sunday, December 30, 2007

What I Won't Be Doing New Year's Eve

File Under: Trips I Won't be Taking

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve. Still unsure what I'll be doing. I have a few options. Here's something I won't be doing and it's killing me. I have friends who are attending so I expect to hear all about it and I'm hoping they'll be so kind as to provide video from the event.

BELINDA CARLISLE AND RUFUS WAINWRIGHT CELEBRATE NEW YEAR'S EVE WITH INTERNATIONAL FLAIR IN PARIS À GO-GO

Two Special Performances with the Los Angeles Philharmonic

MONDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2007, at 7 PM and 10:30 PM
WALT DISNEY CONCERT HALL, 111 S. Grand Avenue, Los Angeles

Belinda Carlisle and Rufus Wainwright ring in the New Year in Paris À Go-Go: New Year's Eve in Paris in two special performances at Walt Disney Concert Hall, Monday, December 31, at 7 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Belinda and Rufus share the stage which is transformed for the evening into a French cabaret. They will both perform in French and English in a program that includes classic French pop songs of Edith Piaf, Serge Gainsbourg and others from Voila, Carlisle's first CD sung entirely in French, as well as a special surprise. Accompanying the elegant first-time pairing are top-notch musicians that make up a quintessentially Parisian-style band including Jay Bellerose (drums/percussion), Reggie Hamilton (acoustic bass), Fabrice Martinez (violin), Jean-Paul Monsche (accordian), Dave Palmer of Air (piano/additional sounds/music director/arranger) and Timothy Young (guitars). Sassy French dancers add to the electricity and elegance of the evening, capped by an unforgettable finale fantastique!


Sounds fun, huh?

Since I can't be there, allow me to share with you one of my favorite Belinda videos. This is the title track from her CD "Live Your Life Be Free," which was released in the fall of 1991. It did well in other parts of the world but didn't fare as well in the US. The videos that were released from this CD were the most creative ones she's ever done and this one includes beautiful men, great costumes, campy dancing, big hats and foreign language. Belinda herself once described this video as a "60's Christian Dior fashion ad on acid." Judge for yourself.



Happy New Year! Live your life, be free!

No comments: