Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Songs of Summertime


"Vacation" by The Go-Go's

By the summer of 1982, I was completely enamoured by The Go-Go's. I had played their debut album "Beauty and the Beat" until it was worn and skipping. There was talk on the radio that they band had gone back into the recording studio to record their second album.

Sure enough "Vacation" the album was released, as was it's lead single "Vacation." It's an uptempo song beginning with a flourish of peppy guitars and drums. I was hooked. As is true of many Go-Go's songs, the songs sounded happy, but the lyrics were sad. "Vacation - meant to be spent alone..."
The time period I associate with the song was happy. I had just finished my Freshman year of high school. I had a summer job, working as a file clerk in the Payroll office of Edgewater Hospital. I was excited to be making money and I could finally buy things like a new stereo and Izod shirts.

Today when I hear the song, I still think of summer fun. I saw my first Go-Go's concert in the summer of 1982 and "Vacation" was the song that opened the show. Even when I saw the band back in April, "Vacation" is one of those songs that generates a lot of excitement throughout the venue.

It's definitely one of my essential summer songs.

"A week without you, thought I'd forget. Two weeks without you and I still haven't gotten over you yet."


No comments: