Thursday, July 10, 2008

Throw Me a Curve

File Under: Micro-thin is way too in

We're constantly bombarded with images of "perfection" - men with sculpted chests, 6-pack abs, flat stomachs, etc. Women are stick figures with tits. Reality is, it's far from perfect and not normal. Yet, we accept it as normal because that's what we see on TV, in the movies, on the sides of busses. For some, it's not a reality and it's frustrating because we try to make it reality, sometimes it's dangerous and the results are disasterous.

Go-Go's reference follows, bare with me, please, this is relevant, I promise.

Back in 2001, The Go-Go's released a CD, their first after 17 years. Much hoopla was made about it (relatively speaking of course), the band did the usual round of press and gave interviews. Probably the most unusual bit of promotion was the appearance of lead singer Belinda Carlisle in the pages of Playboy. Years ago, after she left the band, she was approached to pose and turned down the offer. In 2001, at the age of 43, she was asked again and agreed to do it. They gave her the cover and the centerfold. When questioned about this on the talk shows, she told those who asked "I did it because I wanted to prove that you don't have to be 20 years old, blonde, and a size zero to be sexually viable and viable as a woman." The layout was done as a tribute to the 1950's pinup girls. With that said, she will be the first to tell you that she was unhappy with the layout. They airbrushed the heck out of her. She was proud of the original photos but still glad she did it.

To further the point, the band wrote a song called "Throw Me A Curve," an ode to women who are curvy and beautiful because of it. In concert, as they would introduce the song, they would ask the audience "How many of you gals are smaller than a size 14?" The crowd would cheer, and Belinda would scream "FUCK YOU!" This is for all the girls size 14 and up! Here are the lyrics:

(from memory -Vahona will correct me if I messed up)

Clothes hanger lollipop
Magazine photo-op
I'd rather be a pin-up girl than zero size

Throw me a curve, you look so fine.

Wishing there was less of you
Are you really sure, just how much less is more?
Girls are shapely by design
Exactly what you've got is so easy to adore!

Clothes hanger lollipop
Magazine photo-op
I'd rather be a pin-up girl than zero size

Throw me a curve, not a straight narrow line
Throw me a curve, and I'll show you mine.
Get the message - it's devine!
Throw me a curve, you look so fine!

Micro-thin is way too in
And i'm not so sure, I'd rather just be me
Seems everybody in this world
Thinks that X-Ray girls are the only way to be - NO!

Clothes hanger lollipop
magazine photo op
I'd rather be a pin-up girl than zero size.

Throw me a curve, not a straight narrow line
Throw me a curve and I'll show you mine.
Get the message, it's devine!
Throw me a curve, you look so fine!

- - - -

So, a shout out to all of my friends who aren't size zero, who don't have rock-hard abs. I love you just as you are.

4 comments:

xxxx said...

LOVE IT!!!

Joy said...

Thank you for all that! I love you, too!

This is a good post and a message I wish more girls would take to heart. It's hard for them to have a healthy self-image with all anorexic models and celebrities out there. I worry about them, too, and just know some actresses are going to starve to death the way Karen Carpenter did.

xoxoxoxo

Angel said...

awwww, Jimbo! I love you too, cuz we all know I aint anywhere NEAR a 0!!!!! ;)

David Dust said...

Right back at ya, darling! That's just what I needed.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO