Friday, July 11, 2008

I Don't Read

File Under: Observations at Starbucks


I'm off from work today. My good friend Dave from Tampa is visiting so I scheduled off so that we could hang out. We went out for a while last night and had a lovely time. This morning I got up and decided I wanted my morning cup of Starbucks so I showered, shaved (ON MY DAY OFF!!), dressed and walked over to Starbucks. I'm typing this from the store right now. As I'm sitting here, there are people around me doing their thing - sipping their drink, talking, scurryinng in and out of here. Then there are the newspaper readers.


I have been known to pick up the paper from time to time. If I have an appointment and I'm early, I'll buy one, especially if I'm trying to impress. An example of NOT impressing would be if I brought my TV Guide or a copy of Juggs to read while waiting. Okay, I don't really read TV Guide. That was an embellishment. Right now, there are 4 people sitting in here actually READING the paper. They are staring at the pages, turning them slowly, taking in the news of this city and the world. The guy across from me is reading the "Chicago Homes" section of the Chicago Tribune, but he's reading it. I get a paper and the first thing I do is flip through it, reading headlines and looking at the pictures. I like the Tribune because there are lots of color pictures. Color is good...it's pretty. RARELY do I actually read articles. Mind you, I'm not inept when it comes to the news, I listen to public radio, I watch television newscasts, and I read Dan's Blog which is rather newsy from time to time.

I've never been a big reader. I go through fits where I'll read two or three books in a row, then go months without picking one up. I'm a slow reader, and for someone who is impatient and wants instant gratification, the two don't mix. Reading tests my patience.

Another guy is reading the auto classifieds right now. Hmm...

It would be noble of me to say "I'm going to read more, I'm going to start to take the time to read the newspaper." I won't lie, that probably won't happen.

4 comments:

Joy said...

What a brave and honest man to admit that you don't like to read!

David Dust said...

You read "Juggs" also!!!???!

XOXOXO

Jimbo said...

Strictly for the articles.

Angel said...

um...you don't read TV Guide?? WTH??!!