Thursday, November 8, 2007

Meet Vahona

File under: Friends

Vahona, aka Princess Whooosh, aka One N, aka 69-N's, aka Queen of Anarchy is one of those people who, the minute we were face to face, we were instant friends. Allow me to explain.

Vahona and I share a common interest. We love The Go-Go's. We became online friends when we were both members of a message and chat board. Every Sunday evening a group of us would chat. Since there would be freaks in the room, a few of us would engage in side chats to laugh at the freaks or think of ideas to inject into the conversation. Anyway, during chats, we all revealed where we lived. I found out that not only did Vahona live in Chicago, she lived about 5 minutes from me.

Ironically, we met in person for the first time at a Bangles concert. We also met one of the freaks from our chat at the show. We were all waiting to be allowed into the venue, in line together and the freak (we'll call her BAG) said something that had us in hysterics. We laughed so hard that Vahona finally tugged on my sleeve and dragged me into the gift shop at the venue. Well, to make a long story short, we began hanging out. We also began finishing each other's sentences, having similar thoughts and laughing at the same oddities that others wouldn't quite get. We decided that we were joined at the brain.

Vahona and I have traveled together. By plane, by automobile. Our most insane roadtrip happened when Vahona called me at work one afternoon and said "So the Go-Go's are playing in St. Louis in two weeks on Wednesday. She went on to say "we could work 'til noon, hit the road, be at the venue by 6, have some dinner, show starts at 8, we'll be back on the road by 9:30, home by 3." I said "That's just crazy." She said "I know!" I said "Let's do it!"

There was an opening act. We didn't get home until 5:50 am. We both had to work the next day. I was to work by 9, I think she got to work at around that time, too.

I did laundry that evening. I left all of my socks in the dryer at the laundromat.

Some day, I'll go into more detail about that roadtrip. It includes guest appearances by Bea Arthur, Angela Landsbury and "Blackula."

Vahona no longer lives in Chicago. She moved back to her home town of Portage, IN. She lives about an hour and 15 minutes from me. Not far by any means, but not "hey, wanna come over and watch a movie" close any more.

Back to Vahona. Here's some fun facts about her:

*She once dressed as Marie Osmond for Halloween.
*A Go-Go has fallen asleep in her breasts.
*Simply mentioning Simon LeBon makes her giggle and tremble a bit.
*She doesn't like mayonnaise.
*She was once employed by the big Mouse, working as a dancing waitress at a soda fountain at one of the Walt Disney World properties.

Vahona...she's good people!

No comments: