Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It's Christmas Time

File Under: Fa-la-la

Another Christmas is upon us.

I love this time of year. I love the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping, I love the television specials, I love getting cards in the mail from friends, near and far. And of course, I love food! Bring on the cookies!

When I was growing up, Christmas began on Christmas Eve. Everybody would gather at my house and my parents would host the big family get-together. We would open our presents on Christmas Eve and have a light dinner. Then the kids would go off to bed and the adults would stay up late. When we awoke on Christmas day, stockings would be hanging, filled with fun things. Then later in the day we would have a big dinner. I remember lots of food, standing rib roasts and turkeys.

The family eventually fragmented and the big gatherings ended. We still hosted Christmas Eve but it became a party with close family friends and their children. The house was loud with laughter and the sounds of excited kids opening presents. Eventually that tradition ended, too.

Now, we still have Christmas Eve. My mom and I host our friend Karen. She comes over after dinner and we have dessert and coffee and open presents. It's very quiet but just as nice as the big gatherings, just not quite as loud.

On Christmas day, my sister and nephew will come over. We used to go to Georgette's house for dinner but I decided it made more sense to cook dinner at my house rather than drag my mom out in the bad weather. Tomorrow my home will be filled with the aroma of roast turkey and dressing and we will exchange presents. It will be very laid back and casual but nice.

With all that said, my best gift this year are not the material things that I'm given, but the love and support of all of my friends. I can't imagine my life without my very best friend Dan. He has taught me so much and is a constant source of inspiration and light. We get each other. We both surround ourselves with good people, hence the happy group of us, including Luis, Denise, Polo and Tina. We are a family. I also have my online friends at my message board, QTS, many of whom I have met in person, some I've never met but I feel equally close to every one of them. Then there's Vahona, who is both a QTS friend and a local friend. She and I balance one another and we make each other laugh like nobody else can. Lastly, there are you, those who visit this blog and comment and provide support and laughs. I can't thank you enough for your kind words and I feel a connection to you as well.

I wish all of you a very Happy Holiday Season, whichever holiday you are celebrating. Peace.

2 comments:

David Dust said...

Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Unknown said...

Quiet is nice, I agree.You have wonderful memories. I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts here and look forward to many more.
Merry Christmas
-Charlie